cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HyperFlex Cluster expansion question.

m1xed0s
Spotlight
Spotlight

Somewhere in the HX expansion doc shows that HX installer would ask for the ESXi installation ISO but I do not recall that being prompted during my recent HX cluster expansion. After that expansion, I found the new nodes are running ESXi 6.5u3 while the rest of the existing nodes are running 6.5U1 or 6.5U2...

Now I have another four node HX Cluster (M5 nodes and not Edge cluster) with vsphere ESXi 6.5u3 to expand with two newer M5 nodes. So, 

1. How would I know which ESXi version is preloaded on the new nodes from factory?

2. If the preloaded ESXi is newer or older than the ESXi running in my cluster currently, how can I change the two nodes to match the rest?

3. If the ESXi version can not be changed/updated on the two new nodes during the expansion, how to change it afterwards for just the two nodes of the cluster?

Thanks

/S

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

To check the esxi version preinstalled, you may want to manually create a service profile from the Hyperflex M5 template, so you can get a service profile assigned to the expansion node so you can boot it up and check.

If it's not the same version, you can use the HX customized ESXi ISO of the version that more closely matches your existing nodes.  The customized ISO has a special menu, for which you will want to choose the TOP item (for converged nodes).

Once you are done checking/reimaging, disassociate the temp service profile from the new node(s) in question, and delete the temp service profile (that way it releases consumed pool IDs).

If you ordered the servers with OEM VMware licenses, you will need to put in a ticket with TAC to get the licenses reissued if you have to reimage with the ISO.

Also, please closely check your BOM/especially the drives, as some of the newer drives that started shipping, may have minimum HX version requirements (check the spec sheet for your M5 model, and they will note specific requirements for some of the drives)

Kirk...

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

To check the esxi version preinstalled, you may want to manually create a service profile from the Hyperflex M5 template, so you can get a service profile assigned to the expansion node so you can boot it up and check.

If it's not the same version, you can use the HX customized ESXi ISO of the version that more closely matches your existing nodes.  The customized ISO has a special menu, for which you will want to choose the TOP item (for converged nodes).

Once you are done checking/reimaging, disassociate the temp service profile from the new node(s) in question, and delete the temp service profile (that way it releases consumed pool IDs).

If you ordered the servers with OEM VMware licenses, you will need to put in a ticket with TAC to get the licenses reissued if you have to reimage with the ISO.

Also, please closely check your BOM/especially the drives, as some of the newer drives that started shipping, may have minimum HX version requirements (check the spec sheet for your M5 model, and they will note specific requirements for some of the drives)

Kirk...

The customized ISO has a special menu, for which you will want to choose the TOP item (for converged nodes).

I used customized ISO image from HX download page but I did not notice any special menu. Do you have a screenshot of that?

Not an expert on licensing...but you mean the OEM vmware license is associated with the pre-loaded ESXi version?

You mean the UCS firmware for HX node, right? Or the driver for the ESXi?

If you ordered standard/enterprise/enterprise plus OEM with server, then that license will need to be re-issued, as it was originally embedded at factory.

HX ESXi boot menu seen screen shot below:

hx ISO installer.JPG

I was not referring to drivers, but physical Hard Drives or SSD drives.

Kirk...

Thanks!

I guess I did not pay enough attention last time I was doing an ESXi install...

Regarding the re-issusing of license, should it be done prior the expansion, assuming I did reinstall the ESXi?

I read your post wrong regarding the Driver vs Drive...I guess I just have to make sure HX DP is recent enough to support the new drives.

If you do reimage the host(s) with ISO,, then ESXi is in it's trial/eval timer mode (60 days).

When you open a TAC case, it takes about a week to get the licenses regenerated, so make sure you don't wait till day 59 of your trial timer to put in a TAC case for the license regeneration ;)

Kirk...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: