Views
Helpful
Replies

Integrating External FC Storage with Hyperflex Cluster

Bimaaldip
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have Hyperflex cluster with 2 FI. I want to integrate my external FC storage EMC VNXe3200 to the cluster. The topology is EMC directly connected to FI, is it possible? I have tried to deploy with HX installer new cluster with FC storage configuration but the configuration is applied in the SAN Cloud menu on UCSM and the storage doesn't exist so I tried to configure manually in the Storage Cloud menu, the storage is shown but that is some error when we tried to apply that storage as a datastore.

Thank

Bima.

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Personally i have not tested this scenario, but you need any 5K or 7K with Fi to connect for the Storage - but happy to listen any other coments.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You will need to put the FIs in FC switching mode, which will require a reboot of FIs.

Once that is done, you can create storage connection policies that effectively is your FC zoning config (also at https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/ucs-manager/GUI-User-Guides/Storage-Mgmt/4-0/b_UCSM_GUI_Storage_Management_Guide_4_0/b_UCSM_GUI_Storage_Management_Guide_4_0_chapter_01101.html)

The FIs at this point provide the required FC services.

For your hyperflex servers, you will need to create vHBA templates in your san, suborg for hyperflex, and then add directly to the service profile template,, or add to to san connectivity policy, and add the san connectivity policy to the service profile template under the storage tab.  After a required re-ack of the server, the service profile will then add in the vHBAs.

Kirk...

Hi kirk,

is it required to configure jumbo frame to use external storage on hyperflex environment?

Jumbo frames are not required, but you will get better throughput if you do.

Since you are talking about FC, those fields tend to be fixed (2048 payload, 2148 max frame size).

If you are creating other vNICs to handle iSCSI or other NFS, best to use different vlans than what are used for Hyperflex.

See https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/hyperconverged_systems/HyperFlex_HX_DataPlatformSoftware/Network_External_Storage_Management_Guide/b_HyperFlex_Systems_Network_and_External_Storage_Management_Guide_3_0.pdf

Thanks,

Kirk...