cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Design with POE Switches

mpendharkar
Level 1
Level 1

My current network comprised of one L3 switch, several L2 switches without POE, all are reaching EOL and I am planning to replace them with new design with POE support as shown in the attached diagram. I am buying L2 switches with POE support considering the future use and no plans to use IP phones immediately.

I am looking for some advice/design guides on this new setup. Mainly on how to setup voice vlan for data/voice so that in future I can use them without redesign. Appreciate some pointers.

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 4 2960S are in a stack.  Am I correct?

L2 switches are not stacked.

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm working with someone else on something similiar, take a look maybe it will help.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3415021#3415021

That link helped me to some extent. I am looking for more information on Voice vlan setup and best practices.

For example, with voice vlan, one port is shared between PC and the IP phone. How will they remain in different vlan (PC in 1 vlan and IP phone in a different vlan).

In your situation, use the following combination commands in a per-interface level:

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan

switchport voice vlan

Do NOT set this port into a trunk port.

Do NOT set this port into a trunk port. This is exactly what I was looking for and I found the follwing information in a book.

1) Configuring this link as a trunk gives us the advantage of creating a voice VLAN that will carry nothing but voice traffic while allowing the highest Quality of Service Possible, giving the delay-sensitive voice traffic priority over “regular” data handled by the switch.

2) Configuring the link as an access link results in voice and data traffic being carried in the same VLAN, which can lead to delivery problems with the voice traffic. The problem isn’t that the voice traffic will not get to the switch – it simply may take too long. Voice traffic is much more delay-sensitive than data traffic.

Could you elaborate pros and cons of the above 2 settings in detail. If you can provide some URL's is also fine.

My understanding is that when it's a trunk port, it carries all vlan traffic. Will it not put extra burden on the every link since every port is a trunk port? How is it different from other trunk ports like uplinks between the 2 switches? What is the Cisco's recommendation?

The only time I set VoIP ports into trunk is when I'm dealing with Nortel phones.  What are you using?