cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7000 F2 Series Module Implementation

gdevos
Level 1
Level 1

What would the the step and concerns be when introducing the F2 series modules to my current chassis?

1. Do I need the fabric 2 module installed first before the installing I/O module?
  2. After inserting the I/O module do the ports go to vdc 0 for allocation?
  3. What else should I be considering?

Thanks in advance.

15 Replies 15

Oleksandr Nesterov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello

1. You can insert F2 modules with Fab1- they are interoperable. But to get maximum throughoutput you will need to install Fab-2

2. If you have other non-F2 modules in the chassis - you won't see F2 ports in the show-run as F2 requires separate F2-VDC

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/6_x/nx-os/release/notes/60_nx-os_release_note.html#wp423808

3. You need to use at least NX-OS 6.0.1 release to have F2 support

HTH,

Alex

Hey Alex,

Do you have the "logic" behind the reasoning that you can't mix F1, M1, and M2 cards with an F2? 

Currently I would say it's hardware limitations between previous modules and F2.

Regars,

Alex

Currently I would say it's hardware limitations between previous modules and F2.

Thanks Alex but it doesn't make sense since you can't mix the 2nd generation card, like the M2, with the F2 cards.

I am curious to know why because I don't want to respond to a question like this with the answer "Because Cisco said so"  It makes me look stupid. 

Hi

Number 2 in names M2 and F2 - means only generation number. But both these cards have ompletely different hardware realization.

Reason why F2 is not compatible with all other modules is that it has different forwarding engine which is not compatible with engines of other cards while communicating through the fabric. So that's why F2 modules should be placed in separate VDC whete they will talk only with other F2 cards.

Regards,

Alex

Reason why F2 is not compatible with all other modules is that it has different forwarding engine which is not compatible with engines of other cards while communicating through the fabric. So that's why F2 modules should be placed in separate VDC whete they will talk only with other F2 cards.

Thanks for the explanation, Alex.

Was the design intentional to make the F2's forwarding card incompatible to the F1, M1 and M2?

Unfortunately I'm not aware about this details.

Ok.   Thanks Alex.

icox
Level 1
Level 1

There is a specific design issue on the ASIC used on the F2 module that prevents it from working with F1, M1 and M2.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

There is a specific design issue on the ASIC used on the F2 module that prevents it from working with F1, M1 and M2.

So I guess Cisco won't try to remedy this "design issue" via NX-OS? 

Hello Guys,

I have this problem here.

I Have two nexus 7009 witch 2*  N7K-M148GT-11L  and 2 * N7K-F248XP-25.

While trying to allocate am getting the below error:

"ERROR: 1 or more interfaces are from a module of type not supported by this vdc"

To have all modules in a single VDC I would have to have all modules of type F2? There module F2 UTP 48 ports?

Example:

7K-1

N7K-F248XP-25

N7K-F248XP-25

N7K-F2(Exists F2 module 48 UTP ports ????)

N7K-F2(Exists F2 module 48 UTP ports ????)

7K-2

N7K-F248XP-25

N7K-F248XP-25

N7K-F2(Exists a F2 module 48 UTP ports ????)

N7K-F2(Exists a F2 module 48 UTP ports ????)

Tks!

To have all modules in a single VDC I would have to have all modules of type F2? There module F2 UTP 48 ports?

The legacy F2 card needs to be in a separate vDC.  The legacy F2 cannot co-habitate in the same vDC with the F1, M1, M2.  The legacy F2 can be in the same vDC with another legacy F2 or the newly-release F2e card.

Hi Leo,

Ok, tks.

More one question.

F2e card can be in the same vDC with M2 cards?

Tks,

Rafael

F2e card can be in the same vDC with M2 cards?

The F2e card is supported from NX-OS 6.1(2) and this version does NOT YET support co-habitate between F2e card with M1/M2 and F1 cards.

I was told that this year, they will release the OS that'll support this feature but this hasn't come through yet.

Integrating F2 Series Modules Into a Cisco Nexus 7000 Series System

I'd recommend you talk to your Cisco AM/SE as to when this is possible.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: