Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7000 & Fex - Port-Channel problem

I have redundant Nexus 7010, with several Nexus 2248 (Fex) attached.

The N2k's are already attached and running and I just started the port configuration of the N2k's.

When I tried to configure a port-channel on a Fex-port, it didn't go through and I got the message, this wasn't supported:

n7k1(config)# int e110/1/1

n7k1(config-if)# channel-group 3101

channel-group not supported for interface type

The N7k is running (the latest) software-version 5.1(3).

What am I missing? Does anyony have an explanation or solution for this?

9 Replies 9

Quick question. In what configuration are your FEXs attached to the N7K?

Active-active (Each FEX dual-homed to two N7Ks) or straight-through (Each FEX connected to one N7K)?

From looking around it seems this is a N7K software limitation, that should be allowed soon.

I can find any official documentation other than this comment by Lucien

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3312105#3312105

I will connect a FEX up to a N7K tommorrow and confirm if I get the same result

each FEX is connected redundantly to a single N7k, the switch-redundancy for the servers comes from a second FEX in each rack, that connects to the other N7k.

I'v already been searching for any clues/documentation regarding this and didn't have any luck neither.

If you could check/confirm that on your equipment, that would be a big help, thanks..

Ok, I've just been informed by our Cisco SE, that port-channels aren't supported on N2ks, connected to N7ks, yet.

Apparently, this will be supported with the upcoming v5.2.

Did your Cisco SE say (or can anyone else tell me) if the vPC from a single FEX to a redundant pair of Nexus 7000s will be supported in NX-OS 5.2? I believe that's considered the dual-homed FEX/active-active topology, and works when attached to a Nexus 5000.

vldmegafondv
Level 1
Level 1

Same question.

Did multi-humed FEX to Nexus 7000 (in active/active) is supported in NX-OS 5.2/6.1?

1 FEX to 2 parent 7Ks is not supported at this time with the current software releases

What about two FEXs and one 7K? We are running version 6.2(6) and cannot create even a simple port-channel between the two FEX ethernet interfaces. I understand this should really be configured as a VPC, but since we only have one 7K there is truly no VPC Domain and the 7K sends the error "ERROR: Operation failed: [peer-keepalive not configured] " when trying to configure a VPC for those two FEX ethernet interfaces.

Hi David,

The problem you're facing is very similar to the issue being seen by another user who posted Port channeling a node between two 2248's in the LAN forum.

As you'll see from the link to the Nexus 7000 Fex Supported/Not Supported Topologies document, the only option with a single Nexus 7000 and two or more FEX is to use active/standby NIC teaming on the server.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: