Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus1010 Migration Question ?

dumlutimuralp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We got a demo box  (Nexus 1010) (installed as a standalone)at our customer. It has a demo license which will expire on Dec26th. We already configured a VSM on this box and installed couple of VEMs. Customer has been impatient a little and already migrated couple of live VMs behind some of the VEMs. They purchased two Nexus 1010s. Now I am searching for a migration scenario. Below is the possible steps that I should follow in order to migrate to the new Nexus1010s without any problems.Id really appreciate it if someone can comment on these steps.

1. Convert the current demo Nexus1010 box to "HA Primary"
  2. Install one of the new Nexus1010s as a "HA Secondary"
  3. Power off the demo Nexus1010 box which currently works as "HA Primary"
  4. Then convert the new Nexus1010 box (installed at Step 2) to a standalone box and then to a "HA Primary".
  5. Then install the purchased license on "HA Primary".
  6. Install the other new Nexus1010 as a "HA Secondary".

Thanks in advance.

Dumlu

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Please be advised that TAC will only provide the Nexus 1010 image in rare & approved circumstances.  The redudancy role can be corrected with an erasing of the configuration, but it can't be changed "on the fly".

TAC will most likely RMA the unit should there be any problems with the manager software.

Regards,

Robert

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

dumlutimuralp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I usually hate to see unanswered questions in this forum. So I will reply to my own thread It is not possible to change the role of a Nexus 1010 without reinstalling the software from a scratch. Cisco does not have a valid url for the Nexus1010.iso image at the moment. They provided me one through a TAC Case yesterday. We couldnt migrate from the demo box to the new one. Cause somehow we lost the config when we were following the procedure on Cisco docs.

Just so everybody knows, installing the secondary box is really straightforward. Just install it as secondary and assign the same VLANs as the primary Nexus 1010.

Cheers.

Please be advised that TAC will only provide the Nexus 1010 image in rare & approved circumstances.  The redudancy role can be corrected with an erasing of the configuration, but it can't be changed "on the fly".

TAC will most likely RMA the unit should there be any problems with the manager software.

Regards,

Robert

Hi,

this is not complettly right in my eyes.

With Nexus1010 version 4.0(4) you are not able to change to role or domain ID without a reinstall of the software. And there for you need the .iso image which is not available on CCO for anyone.

So you need to open a TAC Case to get the .iso image.

Here the info from the release notes from version 4.0(4):

Domain ID and HA Role Cannot Be Changed

The configured domain ID and HA role (standalone, primary, or secondary)  can never be changed. To change the domain ID or the HA role, you must  reinstall the software.

With the new 4.2(1) software version the behaviour should have be changed.

Extract from the release notes:

Domain ID and HA Role Cannot Be Changed

The configured domain ID and HA role (standalone, primary, or secondary)  can never be changed. To change the domain ID or the HA role, you must  use the write erase command.

The Nexus 1010 version 4.2(1)SP1(2) has been released.  It is a ZIP file one can download from cisco.com.  Included in the ZIP file is an ISO to reimage the Nexus 1010 appliance.

Download Link:

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=282940122&flowid=23101&softwareid=282088129&release=4.2%281%29SP1%282%29&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

-Dan

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card