cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1721 router

dkpevans
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry to ask such a basic question but! 1721's are considered an answer for the small and medium-sized businesses, but what does Cisco consider a small to medium sized business to be. I realise there are a few factors to be considered, to many to go into, but is there an average suggested business user base for a 1721.

Thanks for your time.

-david

4 Replies 4

donewald
Level 6
Level 6

David,

There is no hard fast number for a "small-med sized business". Basically, in chosing network equipment you need to look at several things for scaling.

1. pps forwarding rates of device

2. Feature set (SW)

3. HW support

(Your business will ahve some (I hope) estimated pps usage and feature requirements that will/should drive your decision... Money, at times, enters this process as well.

For example the 1700 series has some of these type numbers:

Feature

Cisco 1721 Cisco 1720

Routing Performance

(based on 64-byte packet)

12,000 packets per

second

8,400 packets

per second

DRAM (default/maximum)

32 MB/96 MB

32 MB/48 MB

Flash (default/maximum)

16 MB/16 MB

(Nonupgradable)

8 MB/16 MB

IEEE 802.1Q VLAN Routing

Yes

No

Encryption Module LED

Indicator

Yes

No

(Hope the above comes out in the forum.. looks kinda messy)...

here's the data sheet URL, although i am sure you've seen this...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_data_sheet09186a00800920ec.html

So in short... You need to determine if the pps forwarding rates of this device are going to meet your requirements. You need to determine if SW features (e.g. IPSEC, WCCP, etc) are there in the product. Finally and most important you need to ensure that the HW components (e.g. WIC/port capacity type/ etc) are met to connect your business to whatever upstream link you need.

Hope this helps you,

Don

Thanks for your help, I had seen it but was hopeing there might have been a data sheet somewhere, some of the other switch and router vendors supply them for there products, allows me to be lazy ... and you can use the info as a guide.

Unfortunatly I have started on a project after all of the original requirements and spec's were done, and some of the 1721 have had there wan interfaces freeze, I am travelling around the country at the moment installing 1721, 827 and netgear dsl routers and have not had the time to do what I think "was not done correctly" before I started on the project i.e. what and how much traffice is flowing to and from each site.

Thanks for your time though.

david

Thanks Don

that was very helpful and Could you add the performance and the default RAM and Flash for the Cisco 1750, 1751 and 1760?. I'm was looking for in the csico web for a week and I couln't find this information.

thank you

regrads

Cristian

Thanks Don

that was very helpful and Could you add the performance and the default RAM and Flash for the Cisco 1750, 1751 and 1760?. I'm was looking for in the csico web for a week and I couln't find this information.

thank you

regrads

Cristian

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card