Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 FE port problem

mo shea
Level 1
Level 1

Hi...

One of our end users reported his pc was not connecting to the network. After checking the cabling which turned out to be ok, I took my laptop and inserted its Lan cable directly into the end user port in the 2950 switch. To my surprise the same error happened. The LED flashed green but the dhcp address was not obtained. I plugged the laptop in a different switch port (same vlan) and everything went fine.

I checked the port stats and they gave lots of CRC and other errors for the faulty port. I will try to reboot the switch whenever time permits.

Any ideas what might be the issue? The 2950 uses IOS 12.1(22)EA1

Thanks

2 Replies 2

balajitvk
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Did u tried by giving shut and noshut to the port???

Rgs,

matthew.mcbride
Level 4
Level 4

CRC errors generally indicate a duplex problem. You may want to make sure that either both ends of the link are manually configured for the same speed/duplex or that auto-negotiation is enabled on both ends.

Another option you may want to look into is enabling portfast on ports connected to workstations. A portfast port will immediately enter the forwarding state in STP in stead of the 30 second delay while it passes through the listen/learn states. Often times, a DHCP host will timout waiting on the forward delay of STP.

-m2