cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3550 to expand home network

tporembski
Level 1
Level 1

How do I configure a 3550 to expand a network in a dorm room? Right now I just have a single Ethernet port in dorm room so I’m guessing it’s just giving me a single access port.  I want to connect that port to a 3550 so I can have multiple access port’s available.   How should I configure the 3550 if this scenario is possible.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The vlan coming from the ISP was 21 so once I changed the switch to vlan 21 everything started working.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Assuming that you start with a single access port and want to connect multiple devices, would you anticipate any need for multiple vlans? If multiple ports in the default vlan is acceptable then just connect the switch and boot it up and you will have multiple access ports all in the usable vlan.

HTH

Rick

So if I connect 3550 to wall jack that will be vlan 1 on the switch.  Your saying all I need to do is configure all the other ports as access on vlan 1 and it should work?

By default all of the Ethernet ports on the switch are in vlan 1. So to get it to work you do not really have to configure anything. Power up the switch, make the connections and it should work. There are some things that you might want to configure such as passwords to control access to the switch (or user name and password to do local authentication if you want to be more sophisticated). 

HTH

Rick

The vlan coming from the ISP was 21 so once I changed the switch to vlan 21 everything started working.

Cisco switch default VLAN1 - if your wall jack VLAN 1 you do not need any configuration on the new switch (make sure you turn off VTP to transparent)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
How do I configure a 3550 to expand a network in a dorm room?

what device other side which you connecting ?

If that was access port before and you connecting 3550 switch  - make sure you config has no VTP Server configured. (if other side cisco switch)

I want to connect that port to a 3550 so I can have multiple access port’s available.   How should I configure the 3550 if this scenario is possible.

Multiple access ports in different VLAN, then  you can configure Locally on switch, but if you like to communicate other side, that should be trunk allow the VLAN in that port config.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card