cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3560 changing baud rate mid-boot

kander1988
Level 1
Level 1

I've been tasked with configuring a number of 3560's.  I thought it would be good experience to learn to do an Xmodem transfer, so on one switch I erased the flash.  This wasn't too big of a deal, as I already had everything I needed.  After erasing the flash, I changed the baud rate to 115200 so the IOS transfer would only take 20 minutes.   Once completed, I changed the baud rate back to normal (in ROMMON using the unset BAUD command).  However, now the switch boots in 9600 baud, but as soon as it gets to displaying the version information in the boot process, it changes back to 115200 baud.  This is causing a lot of problems.  Ever heard of this before?  Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

vragotha
Level 3
Level 3

In switch: prompt or ROMMON, you use the 'set BAUD' and 'unset BAUD' commands. This affects the rommon mode only

When the switch is up, you use

line console 0

speed 115200

to change the baud rate.

If you changed it using line console 0, you have to change it back to 9600 in line console 0 after booting up the switch

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

vragotha
Level 3
Level 3

In switch: prompt or ROMMON, you use the 'set BAUD' and 'unset BAUD' commands. This affects the rommon mode only

When the switch is up, you use

line console 0

speed 115200

to change the baud rate.

If you changed it using line console 0, you have to change it back to 9600 in line console 0 after booting up the switch

I copied my configuration and flashed everything to do it again, leaving it overnight to do an XMODEM transfer at 9600 baud so no configurations would have been altered.  I found out later by examining my config that the line con had altered itself to 115200 baud. So the switch was booting at 9600, but as soon as the line con is up and running, it took over at 115200.

Thanks!  Problem solved.