cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3640 Flash memory upgrade

daniel.kline
Level 1
Level 1

I am attempting to upgrade the flash memory in a 3640 router so that I can upgrade the OS. I removed a 16MB flash card from a 3620 router, installed it in the 3640 (Bank1) - Bank0 contained a 4MB card with the original 3640 OS, and erased the 3620 OS image on the 16MB card.

I then tftp'ed the new OS into partition2 of flash memory (the 16MB module), changed the boot system flash command on the 3640 to use the new OS, and rebooted the router. It appeared to ignore the boot system command and reloaded the old OS from the 4MB module (Bank0).

I then removed the 4MB module from Bank0 and replaced it with the 16MB module with the new OS image and received MEMINIT errors.

I was hoping to avoid starting with a blank 16MB flash memory module and using xmodem because of the time involved in uploading a 6MB file at 9600bps.

Since what I have attempted has failed, what is the proper method for accomplishing this task?

Dan

4 Replies 4

Hello Dan,

what configuration statement are you using to have the router load from flash ? Can you post the configuration ?

Regards,

GP

I tried two different variations: boot system flash c3640-i-mz.122-27.bin and boot system flash:c3640-i-mz.122-27.bin. Both gave the same result.

I could only suspect that the router, for some reason, was loading the older, 11.2 version of software from partition 1 and ignoring the boot command. The 12.2 version of software is loaded in partition 2 (the 16MB memory module.

Regards,

dk

Hi,

You can try specifying partition number in boot command (see below)

boot system flash [flash-fs:][partition-number:][filename]

In your case, boot command will look like

boot system flash:2:c3640-i-mz.122-27.bin

Thank you for the suggestion. I was looking for the command syntax for specifying the partition, but didn't see it when I tried the help function on the router (boot system flash:c3640-i-mz.122-27.bin ?).

I'm still not sure why the router would not boot from the 16MB flash card when it was in slot1 (Bank0). When I tried this I received MEMINIT errors, which led me to believe that the flash card from the 3620 might not be compatible with the 3640.

But all the documentation I could find seemed to indicate that the cards are compatible.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card