cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3640 with NM-1FE2W

daniel.kline
Level 1
Level 1

I installed a NM-1FE2W network module into a 3640, but the router will not enable the module. I have upgraded the IOS to 12.1(1)T, which is listed as the minimum compatible release that supports my hardware configuration:

Slot0 - NM-1E2W w/WIC-1T

Slot1 - 8-Port ISDN-BRI with NT-1 Network Module

Slot2 - NM-1FE2W

Slot3 - 8-Port ISDN-BRI with NT-1 Network Module

When I connect the FE port on the NM-1FE2W in slot 2 I get a link light, but the NM is not enabled, so I can't access it to do any configuration.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

dk

6 Replies 6

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Checked IOS 12.1T. This indeed supports the 1FE2W module. Are you actually running this version?

You may have stored it as second in flash and not entered a boot system command...?

I would also advise yoiu to use the latest available version of the release you that you want to run. This would be 12.1(5)T19

Second thing I can think of, although not likely, is the required amount of RAM. I know that you need a lot of that with the 8BRI module and you have two of them.

If this does not solve your problem, a posting of sh ver & startup messages would be helpfull.

Regards,

Leo

Thanks, Leo. I am indeed running 12.1(1)T as evidenced in show version. I have the required memory (32MB DRAM and 8MB Flash) defined in the software advisor for this configuration.

Although the software advisor provides many software versions that support this configuration, this document (http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/107/nm-fe2w.html#Platformsupport) only lists four compatible versions - one of them is 12.1(1)T.

I am stumped. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

dk

12.1(1)T is the minimum required. All later versions in this release also support the module and it certainly works with 12.2 also. As I am not particularly fond of T-releases, and if memory upgrades are no problem I would attempt an upgrade to the latest version of 12.2.

Otherwise, you could also try a more recent release of 12.1T.

12.1.5T19 is the latest available and the standard ip image (c3640-i-mz) fits in your system (8/32)

If this does not help, you may attempt to test the module in another router; altough it is seldom, you could also have a dead module.

Regards,

Leo

Thanks again for the suggestion. I could not locate 12.1(5)T9, so I am going to try loading 12.2(27), which is the latest maintenance release in the 12.2 train.

I am baffled as to why 12.1(1)T did not work. I have never encountered this sort of isse before.

12.2 would be my favorite as well, good luck with it.

I actually said: 12.1.5T nineteen.

Just checked for a typo from my side but thats still what is written there...;-)

Regards,

Leo

12.2(27) did the trick. Boy am I glad that's done with.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card