Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 stacking

lakn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

stacking 3+ 3750 switches, how is it determined which one is becomming master, and with the config:

int g1/0/1

int g1/0/24

int g2/0/1

int g2/0/24

int g3/0/1

int g3/0/24

in mind, how do one determine which one is number 1, 2 and 3 in the stack?

8 Replies 8

dwyerr
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

The following global configuration command is used to change the switches stack member priority.

switch priority

The priority value can be 1-15, the higher priority stack member is more likely to be the master.

The switches stack member number can be changed using the following global configuration command.

switch renumber

For example, if you wanted to renumber the current #1 switch to #2 in the stack you would do:

swt(config)#switch 1 renumber 2

This command requires you to reload, also note you will lose any configurations specific to interfaces because you are moving interfaces around and the configuration will no longer match.

HTH.

-Rob

Hi,

you can determine the active switch with the "show switch" command.

When you are connected to a console you see this:

#sh switch

Current

Switch# Role Mac Address Priority State

--------------------------------------------------------

*1 Master 0011.9380.4300 1 Ready

2 Slave 0011.bb2d.2900 1 Ready

In this case i'am on the master.

regards

Peter

dwyerr
Level 1
Level 1

I meant to include the following link as well.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3750/12119ea1/3750scg/swstack.htm#1152806

Explains how master is elected etc.

-Rob

Thank you very much..

Just what I needed.

paddyxdoyle
Level 6
Level 6

Forgive me if i'm wrong but i'm just wondering why your not using the stackwise connectors when stacking your switches?

This will give you a 32 Gbps backplane and you can use your gigabit ports for network devices.

Rgds

Paddy

But I am..

But it confused me with having more than one switch and wondered, which one is 1/0/x and which one is eg. 3/0/x

Hi,

When looking at your original post i thought you were connecting up the switches using your gigabit ports as your included them in your description.

Good luck

Paddy

But I am..

But it confused me with having more than one switch and wondered, which one is 1/0/x and which one is eg. 3/0/x

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card