cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 core to Nexus 7000

syneco
Level 1
Level 1

What will be the best solution and why to move 2/6509 (switces and firewalls connected) and 2/6500 (server farm) to Nexus:

2 Nexus 7000 boxes VDC core (switces and firewalls connected) -  2 Nexus 5000+6 2000 (server farm)

or

2 Nexus 7000 boxes VDC core - VDC aggregation (switces and firewalls connected) and  2 Nexus 5000 + 6 Nexus 2000 (server farm)

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Although Cisco Cat 65K are very strong and flexible type of Switches, however Cisco Nexus Family switches are the best option for data center networking as they are purpose built for data center networking, cisco Nexus 7000 with fully populated FAB2 modules can provide you with up to 550G per slot, and can provide you with high density of line rate 10G interfaces, high speed forwarding and switching performance, switch vitalization capability using VDC

you have asked for two types of design models and both of them are valid however  you need to provide more details to provide yo with the best option

for example using a core in the data center is useful if you have multiple distribution switches/ points in the DC so the core in the DC can aggregate those distribution rather than having a fully meshed connections with complicated routing and connectivity

if you are going to have only one distribution pair of switches then using collapsed architecture might be a good options where both core and distribution functions can be performed by the one logical/physical switch/VDC

hope this help

DC is inside the office building where all the floor switces, internet firewalls are connected to 6509 and servers are connected to 6506. 6509 is dealing with HRSP, ospf and STP and 6506 VLANS are not propagated to other switches. The idea is to replace 'as it" the Cat switches with Nexus so I am not sure if the aggregation VDC will be useful here. 

Please let me know what other information I can provide you.

Thanks

Jo

balbaletabrez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Scalability, higher bandwidth, vPC, vDC, OTV, more redundancy.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card