Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 Native IOS memory questions.

nrmdcs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

We are currently running Sup1A/MSFC2 supervisor modules in our Catalyst 6509s. We are scoping conversion from Hybrid to Native IOS.

The Supervisor memory has the standard 64MB memory installed and the MSFC2 has 128MB.

Looking at minimum memory requirements to run recent releases of Native IOS, Cisco recommend a minimum of 64MB but it is noted that this is a minimum only and should be increased where required. To minimise any risk of insufficient memory I felt that we would be better off with 128MB and accordingly was about to request purchase of extra memory. However, I note that a switch I have already converted to Native IOS in the test lab reports 128MB memory in the output of the Show Version command.

My questions are...

Does this mean that under Native IOS the MSFC2 memory is in use and is this the memory referred to by Cisco when detailing minimum memory requirements?

What happens with the 64MB on the Sup module?

Cheers, Steve.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

With Native IOS, memory on the Supervisor will still be used for layer 2 operations. You can do a "remote command switch sh ver" to check for supervisor's memory

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

With Native IOS, memory on the Supervisor will still be used for layer 2 operations. You can do a "remote command switch sh ver" to check for supervisor's memory

Thanks for the quick response mate.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card