cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7200 bootflash upgrade failure

tsalt
Level 1
Level 1

I was upgrading a 7200 VXR router to 12.2(26) IOS, so decided to upgrade the bootflash at the bootflash at the same time. I down loaded the following file:-

c7200-kboot-mz.122-26.bin

and copied it to the bootflash.

I then rebooted the router. But it just hangs after the initial screen. It doesn seem to run teh bootflash image.

How do I change the bootflash image back to its original which I have on a Flash Card (Disk), I can get the router to drop into ROMMon mode but cant see a way of using tftp to transfer the file. Also when the card is inserted into a slot it is not recognised?

Why is the router not booting from teh flash image I have installed. There was only one image avalable to download from CCO for the 12.2(26) IOS?

Many Thanks

Tom

5 Replies 5

bbanis2k
Level 1
Level 1

In ROMMon mode I believe you will use the below command to initiate downloads:

tftpdnld

Ive tried this but the command is not recognised, as I have done this before on 2600/3600 routers.

I had a similar problem (48mb) flash and had to;

Boot the router and delete all images

Squeeze the images from the flash/bootflash

Format the Flash Card and copy the bootflash / IOS to the card

Copy from the disk0: or disk1: to the Router and Bootflash

Modify the router config to boot from the new bootflash

If you are still having issues then I would recommend that you get in touch with Cisco TAC because I had 2 7206VXR's with hardware issues before you get to far into it. HTH

Many Thanks.

Ill try this when I am back from Xmas leave. Many thanks for your assistance.

tsalt
Level 1
Level 1

I have discovered that if the router will not boot from the Bootflash for whatever reason it is still possible to boot teh router from a valid IOS image. If you have an appropiate IOS image on a PCMCIA card then from the RomMON prompt type boot slot0:imagename. The router will boot on the image. Then the router can be configured and a new bootflash image be downloaded =via tftp. It is advisable to format the bootflash before putting the image on.

I also had problems getting the router to see teh new PCMCIA which show as disks. Had to use one that would show up as slot 0.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card