cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access to Isolated Network

karlsd
Level 1
Level 1

We had an isolated network (10.1.x.x-10.5.x.x) in a remote location for a period of time. Over the last year we installed a T-1 that provides us (our main office (192.168.x.x)) connectivity to that isolated site. The setup was configured as follows:

main office router which contains multiple interfaces(e0-192.168.68.x & s0-10.7.1.x) connects directly to the isloted office router which contains multiple interfaces (s0-10.7.1.x, e0-10.2.1.x & 10.3.1.x).

This setup was put in place to gain access to specific servers on the 10.3.x.x & 10.2.x.x networks. We may also gain access to a couple other device interfaces on the 10.2 and 10.3 networks. However there are other devices that I would like to gain access to within the isolated network. These devices lye on the 10.1.x.x, 10.4.x.x, 10.5.x.x and 10.6.x.x networks. I have not been able to find a way to hit the 1,4,5 & 6 networks from my 192.168.x.x network.

Do I need to add additional interfaces to my isolated router to achive this? If so what is the best way to go about this? Does it require additional HW or is there a way to create virtual interfaces on the router. How would this work when utilizing VLANS?

All help/suggestions are appreciated.

1 Reply 1

rsissons
Level 5
Level 5

I am not sure that I fully understand your topology however, assuming that you have a router at each site, connected by the T1 and each of your lans is connected to an interface on one of these routers, then you just need to run a routing protocol between them to advertise the different subnets.

The only gotcha here is, depending on the IP addresses you are using on the T1 link, your 10.0.0.0 network may be non contiguous, which means that you cannot use classful routing protocols like RIP. The easiest way would be just to use a subnet from the 10.0.0.0 network on the T1 otherwise you would have to use EIGRP, and turn off auto summerisation, or OSPF.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card