cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Accessing devices with SSH-Closed by foreign host? (Packet Tracer)

aforeman506
Level 1
Level 1

I'm doing a lab in packet tracer, and I believe I followed all the instructions correctly but for some reason when it came time to type in the "telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" cmd it just gave me this message saying it was closed by a foreign host and doing nothing when it should be prompting me for a password and stuff like the lab instructions said but it's not and I'm getting frustrated. I know it sometimes likes to troll me by acting up and forcing me to close it and leave it for a day before it just decides to work suddenly despite no changes were made so I apologize if it's pulling a fast one on me again.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

NetworkDave
Spotlight
Spotlight

@aforeman506,

Please reference the instructions:
Part 2: Configure the Router for SSH Access
Step 7: Start an SSH session to the router.
b. You must use the –l admin option when you SSH to R1 (note this is a lower case “L” and not the number 1). This allows you to log in as user admin. When prompted, enter adminpass for the password.
ssh -l admin 192.168.1.1

The SSH command you used is incomplete. it is missing the "-l" and username "admin" parameters. As indicated in the instructions the complete command is ssh -l admin 192.168.1.1 where "-l" is a lower case letter L, not the number one (1).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember to mark helpful posts and mark the correct answer as a solution; It helps other users with similar questions.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

NetworkDave
Spotlight
Spotlight

@aforeman506,

The instructons are incorrect.
Part 2, Step 4a tells you to configure VTYs for SSH access only.
Then
Part 2, Step 6 says to telnet into the router (which was previouly configured for SSH access only).

Current Router settings
!
line vty 0 4
password 7 0822455D0A16
login local
transport input ssh
!

transport input ? (Available Options).
all:  All protocols
none: No protocols
ssh: TCP/IP SSH protocol
telnet: TCP/IP Telnet protocol

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember to mark helpful posts and mark the correct answer as a solution; It helps other users with similar questions.

So what should i put instead of telnet 192.168.1.1 in the cmd prompt?
I tried ssh 192.168.1.1 but that didn't do anything

NetworkDave
Spotlight
Spotlight

@aforeman506,

Please reference the instructions:
Part 2: Configure the Router for SSH Access
Step 7: Start an SSH session to the router.
b. You must use the –l admin option when you SSH to R1 (note this is a lower case “L” and not the number 1). This allows you to log in as user admin. When prompted, enter adminpass for the password.
ssh -l admin 192.168.1.1

The SSH command you used is incomplete. it is missing the "-l" and username "admin" parameters. As indicated in the instructions the complete command is ssh -l admin 192.168.1.1 where "-l" is a lower case letter L, not the number one (1).

I was stuck on part 6 as it's not really good practice to just start skipping or ignoring given instructions when i followed the instructions which said to telnet 192.168.1.1 (Which you said was incorrect) I wasn't aware that it was incorrect 

NetworkDave
Spotlight
Spotlight

@aforeman506,

No worries. The error in the instructions was the cause of the confusion.

Hopefully you are now able to SSH into the device; If so, please mark one of the posts in this thread as the solution.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco