Views
Helpful
Replies

Adjusting the Maximum Segment size

smezache
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

With a SSL running on some sites, very few users have been experiencing some difficulties getting to these sites especially when they are email related.

After doing some research, I found out that reducing the maximum segment size on my router’s Ethernet interface to 1360 kbps could do the trick.

My router only has 8 Megs of flash and 32 Megs of memory. Which IOS version and feature set could allow me to punch in the “ip tcp adjust-mss 1360’ command line?

Currently, my IOS does not support this feature on my 2610 router.

Thanks for the help

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

According the the documentation description that I found the ip tcp adjust-mss was introduced in release 12.2T. From the upgrade planner it indicates that in the 12.2T train the IP (base) image will fit in 32 meg of memory and 8 meg of flash. Other feature sets require more memory and/or more flash. It is not clear from the documentation whether the ip tcp adjust-mss is included in the base featue set. To be sure of getting this feature you may need to plan to upgrade the hardware.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

dbellaze
Level 4
Level 4

The command prior to the ip tcp adjust-mss was ip adjust-mss.

Your IOS may support this command. Otherwise you need at least 12.2(4)T for the ip tcp adjust-mss.

Daniel

Unfortunately my IOS does not support the "ip adjust-mss". I looked for the 12.2(4)T IOS on Cisco’s website but I could not find it. Do you know where I can find it?

Thanks for you help again.

It has probably been deferred due to bugs. Any release after 12.2(4)T will have the command. The command should also have migrated into the 12.3 IOS.

Daniel