cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AS5300 Mica Hex Modem Responses

michael.whittle
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question regarding modem responses on the AS5300. If a call is issued from one of the modems and it hits a number that is engaged it waits over 30 seconds and then comes back with, "NO CARRIER". Does the AS5300 not come back with BUSY or something to that effect if the line isn't available?

We are running, 'c5300-js-mz.121-19.bin' and the firmware on the modem is a Mica Hex with firmware, '2.7.3.0'.

2 Replies 2

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I assume that mica modem used to dialout from AS5300. If the busy signal is returned to a modem from the telco line, it will report BUSY.

So to find what exactly returned from telco line, you can reverse telnet to one of the modem and dialout the same number which is busy..See what you get..

Also if ISDN PRI signalling is used, that can relay busy signal quite well. But CAS signalling uses inband tones, so it might not relay busy..instead modem will timeout expecting response and disconnect.

I'm using the Mica modem to dial out from the AS5300. I noticed that when I connect to the AS5300 on any of the modems using reverse telnet when I connect to a line that has a busy tone it doesn't say BUSY. It dials the number, waits about 30 seconds and then I get NO CARRIER.

I'm just wondering why there is that 30 second pause before it says NO CARRIER when the busy signal is almost immediate when you dial the number from a phone.

Why would the Mica modems not be returning BUSY. Could it be that they are US based and that they don't recognise the UK busy signal? If this is the case is there an initialization string for the modem which could fix this or at least drop the time it takes for the NO CARRIER message to come up?