cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

assigning VLAN to a RSm

axfalk
Level 1
Level 1

We have Cat 5000 switches with RSM and I am looking for docs as to how to assign a VLAN to the RSM. Can someone please point me there?

Thanks.

_ Alex

3 Replies 3

mark-obrien
Level 4
Level 4

Alex,

Here is a link that should get you started.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat5000/rel_5_2/layer3/routing.htm#27719

I don't know how familiar you are with IOS, but you configure an RSM just like any IOS-based router. To get into RSM configuration from the switch's command prompt, enter the command "session x" where x is the slot that houses the RSM. Once you are there, it will look just like a router prompt. To set up a VLAN in the RSM, go into the command mode, enter the command "intervace vlan a" where a is a valid VLAN already defined in the switch, and you will be in the interface command mode for that VLAN's router interface. Provide the same type configuration you would provide for an ethernet interface of a "normal" router. Repeat for any other VLANs that you want to route.

HTH and Good Luck.

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for your reply - I found the info very helpful and right on the money. However, we have a PIX that is the default route for all the oubound traffic. The DMZ that has all the WEB servers is on its own VLAN, however there's no virtual interface defined for that VLAN in the RSM. Yet, users have no problems accessing the WEB servers on the WEB VLAN. Is the PIX doing the necessarry routing in this case?

Thanks again.

Alex,

Yes, I expect the PIX is doing the routing. You probably have a PIX inside interface that is the default route for the internal network. This internal interface is on one of your internal VLANs. The PIX also has an external interface in the same external VLAN as your DMZ servers. This interface serves as the default gateway for these servers. The PIX would have routes pointing your internal network space to some internal router, or it is simply connected to that space directly.

I hope this clears things up.

Mark