cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Automatic Failover Question

wrwiii122
Level 1
Level 1

I have attached a drawing of my situation. They are all 2950's. The three bottom wireless devices talk to the main hub at the top and not to each other. I need to have the wired link and the wireless link back each other up. I know STP will take care of the looping but if it shuts down the main wireless hub then if one of the three fibers break it wont report to the main wireless hub because it is not forwarding. I tried etherchannel but the wired links are fiber GBICs running at 1000M and the wireless only run at 100M so that wouldnt work.

Anyone have any suggestion on a way to make this senario an automatic failover?

4 Replies 4

wrwiii122
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the attachment! Sorry!

I remember your case. ;) I think the STP is still the solution for you. You can fine tune the priority of each switch then make the blocking point at the wireless link of remote switch. If the wired link down, the wireless link will be changed to forwarding mode. You can also configure Uplink fast to make the SPT fail-over faster.

Below is the link for SPT config example :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/tech_configuration_examples_list.html

Hope this helps.

They only issue with using the STP is in my current network I always get err-disable errors because it says it detects a loopback. I have to go in and shutdown and then no shutdown and the unit is fine for months. Also what if the master wireless link is put into blocking state? Then the slaves cant talk. I guess priority would handle this if the master had higher priority that the slaves.

For the err-disable, you have to find out what device create this problem. Please search the forums and I remember there is case described this errod and solution.

Hope this helps.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card