Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth shaping on ethernet interface

jaiabraham
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a 5 MB internet connection from the service provider to be used for two of my projects. This will be given to me as an ethernet trunk with 2 VLANs, 2MB speed for one VLAN and 3 MB speed for other VLAN. I have a cat 3560(std. image) switch to which this trunk will be connected. I can configure the trunk and VLANs and connect each VLAN to the router(one 7200 and one 2621) for the two projects. They have asked me to implement bandwidth shaping, otherwise network cogestion will occur. How do I configure bandwidth shaping so that each project gets alloted bandwidth( one 2 MB and other 3 MB)? where should I configure it? on the switch or routers?

2 Replies 2

ashishpanda
Level 1
Level 1

You can configure it on either side.

To configure GTS for outbound traffic on an interface or subinterface, use the following command in interface configuration mode:

Router(config-if)# traffic-shape rate bit-rate [burst-size [excess-burst-size]]

Command Purpose

Configures traffic shaping for outbound traffic on an interface.

Configuring GTS for an Access List

To configure GTS for outbound traffic on an access list, use the following commands beginning in global configuration mode:

Step 1

Router(config)# access-list access-list-number

Command Purpose

Assigns traffic to an access list.

Step 2

Router(config-if)# interface interface-type interface-number

Command Purpose

Enters interface configuration mode.

Step 3

Router(config-if)# traffic-shape group access-list-number bit-rate [burst-size [excess-burst-size]]

Command Purpose

Configures traffic shaping for outbound traffic on an interface for the specified access list.

Repeat the steps for each type of traffic you want to rate-limit.

Hope this helps

regards

Ashish

joyride_us
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Enerally, your provider should tell you what kind of shaping they want according to your contract (min access bandwidth, max, average, do you have peak throughput...)

I would place it on the output interface of the routers (I think you would need enhanced inage to do it on the L3 switch but not sure!). Provided, the routers are in use only for a given VLAN - otherwise, you should filter per subnet corresponding to a VLAN :

!

class-map myclass

match any

!if the interface is shared with other VLan's traffic

!use instead :

!match ip address 10

!access-list 10 permit x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

policy map mypolicy

class myclass

shape average 2000

!for 2 Mb/s

!on the router output interface!