cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth Utilization

ahensel
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 12Mbps connection to the Internet at work. Is it a fair statement to say that I can add together the input rate and output rate for the serial interface to get an idea of the total bandwidth being used on the circuit?

thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

mhussein
Level 4
Level 4

I am not sure I understand your question correctly. If you have 12Mbps connection, then your "total bandwidth"-the way you put it- in both directions could be up to 24Mbps. If the 12Mbps is the access port speed, then the CIR/SIR could be less than that. Assuming you have 12Mbps up, 12Mbps down, then the bandwidth is 12Mbps, it would be misleading to express it otherwise - I think.

Regards,

Mustafa

I dont agree to this. We have 2Mbps connections for Internet (its Leased Line 1:1 ) . Total traffic added in both direction can max be 2Mbps.

I think mostly, bandwidth for serial links is said to be both in & out added.

albert.remo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I guess it is safe to say, since some Internet Service Providers here in our area provides such service, that when we are given a 384Kbps DSL link it is configured with the following specifications. A 256Kbps download rate and a 128Kbps upload rate. I guess the same applies to your internet access. But still, it depends on your service provider and how your circuit was configured.

Hope this helps!

Albert

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card