Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic informn.needed on EIGRP,RIP,IGRP,ospf and their implementaionin

jalakshi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I know that all of you overhere have experience working with WAN configuration,i have not configured them in real life yet but I have all theoritical knowledge with my CCNP and handons related to my certification,

Can you all please help,where in your Network you implement OSPF,EIGRP,ISIS,BGP4,RIP and in which scenerio,an where in your network and more i want to know abt it

For example-

BGP$ ,OSPF at Core layer of your Network, for connecting....used for what...configured on which series routers?

At Distibution layer which protocol and used for what,configured on which series routers?

At Access layer and which protocol and usd for what,configured on which series routers?

So i can have and understanding of Coporate Network and Implementation of routing protocols ?

Please help ME

Regards

2 Replies 2

Hello,

there really is no short or simple answer to when to use which protocol. Basically, BGP and ISIS are mainly used by service providers, or on customer edge routers connecting to a service provider. RIP, EIGRP, and OSPF are mainly used in customer networks. RIP and OSPF are open standard protocols, whereas EIGRP is a Cisco-proprietary protocol, that is, it runs only on Cisco equipment. In general, RIP and EIGRP are less scalable but easier to configure than OSPF, BGP, and ISIS.

Do you have a specific design in mind, or are you looking for more theoretical background information ?

You might want to check this document:

Designing Large-Scale IP Internetworks

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/idg4/nd2003.htm

or this one, which describes the components used in the Cisco layered model:

Internetworking Design Basics

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/idg4/nd2002.htm

HTH,

Georg

Hi George,

Thank you for your help.I wanted to know which protocols are used in which scenerios in the Coporate Network

As you mentioned,

1.BGP4 and ISIS are mainly used by ISP or at customer edge to connect to ISP.

2.RIP ,OSPF and Eigrp are mainly used at customer inside network

Can you please provide me with their sample configuration,and Sample coporate network diagram if possible ( setup with which routers and switch series) for the same,

1 Sample Configuration for BGP connecting ISP

2.Sample Configuration of OSPF,RIP,EIGRP all used inside the coporate network and diagram for the same.

3.Only Sample setup Diagram for Frame Relay,Leaseline in such Companies Network.

Right now i am seating on jigsaw,if you provide me with sample diagrams and configuration of these Network,I would be able to put together the pieces and understand the whole real life Networks.

My email id is itsjilu20004@yahoo.com

Please help me.