cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New 3550 takes network to another 3550 down

wesmyers
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3560 install and configured and I started up a new 3550 fresh out the box with factory defaults and I lose all communications to the 3560.

Not doing anything fancy, all layor 2 switching, just an IP address assigned to the default VLAN, what am I doing wrong? I have another new 3550-12G that does the same thing.

I am primary a Nortel shop with a Passport 8600 in the core and this Cisco equipment was suppose to be the first of a gradual switch over from Nortel to Cisco but as things are looking, Nortel may stay around a little longer!! all this is attaching on the same VLAN with no complicated routing or such. first call to TAC has been frustrating to say the least, they seem to be lost in helping out as it's not really a device specific problem.

3 Replies 3

nemmco
Level 1
Level 1

If you could post a diagram it may help.

A wild guess is spanning tree. How long did you leave the 3550 connected - more than 50 seconds?

Peter

oniant
Level 1
Level 1

Strange problem. Try setting the VTP mode on the old switch to server mode. Perhaps it was on client mode. If this was the case, the the new switches were probably overwriting it's vlan settings.

Hope this helps.

Ahhh....

Found the problem, one of my co-workers set all the ports on the 3560 as trunked access including the gbic ports...

Call to TAC and they figured that out, kinda blew them away at first.

Oh I can't wait until Tuesday when the indivdual who did this get's back from vaction :)