Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP and MED

fmoulineau
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I try to modify metric with bgp between 2 AS. I use route-map and "set metric 1000", but the metric 1000 is not announced in bgp update. I'm full BGP and i don't do any redistribution between my 2 AS.

It seems that metric apply only to routes redistributed from 1 protcol to another, Is it right ?

Can I modify metric in full BGP protocol ?

Thanks for your help.

4 Replies 4

Faraz Shamim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Franois,

I am assuming you have applied the route-map correctly to your neighbor under router bgp statement. Also did you clear the neighbor after that?

Another important thing to note that you won't be able to see the advertising MED with show ip bgp x.x.x.x command on the sender. You have to verify with your BGP neighbor that whether they are receiving the routes from you with the MED of 1000.

Faraz

Hello Faraz,

My route-map seems correct, all the other parameter of my route-map are correctly take into account.

I do several clear after change.

Does metric modification apply in BGP without redistribution of an other protocol?

François

Hello Francois,

It has nothing to do with redistribution of other protocol. As I mentioned before you need to check with your eBGP neighbor if they are receiving your MED of 1000. There is no way to see the MED you are advertising on the sending router.

Faraz

Thanks a lot for your help Faraz.

In fact I don't have access to the router receiving update with MED (router of my client).

I rapidly checked on a lab test that advertising MED can be not seen on the sender but present on the receiver.

Best regards.