cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can a Router or Switch will act as FTP Server?

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

is it possible to make a router or a switch to act as router? bcoz when i tried ip ftp username <xxx> ip ftp password <xyz> nothing works, juz wanted to clear myself.

5 Replies 5

vijayasankar
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

The command that you have mentioned configures the FTP username/password, that the router will use, when you try to copy something ( IOS image) from an external FTP server to flash.

For. Ex. After you have supplied the FTP username /password, by using the command "IP Ftp username and password ..

When you initiate the following command,

router#>copy ftp: flash:

Then the router will ask you the ip address if the external ftp server, the filename with full path. It will use the username/password that you have configured earlier to logon to the external FTP server and get the files copied to the flash:

You can configure the router to act as a TFTP server, so that you can copy the ios images from the router to another.

HTH

-VJ

Hello,

just in case, and since I am not really sure what you are looking for:

How to configure one of the routers as a TFTP server:

Lets say you have R1 and R2, and you want to copy the running-config of R2 to R1, you would configure R2 as the TFTP server for the running-config:

R2#copy running-config flash:

--> you will be prompted for a name, you might call this file running-config-R2

Now the file is in the flash of R2. Configure R2 as a TFTP server for that file:

R2#conf t

R2(config)#tftp-server flash:running-config-R2

Now, on R1, copy the file to the flash of R1:

R1#copy tftp: flash:running-config-R2

You will be prompted to erase the flash, answer with N...

HTH,

GP

Hi

I Think router can not work act as a ftp or TFTP server. From another FTP or TFTP server can IOS upgrade to router flash.

like# copy tftp flash:

then assign ip address of TFTP or ftp server.

For upgrade IOS in router at first configure a server which is FTP/TFTP server then IOS keep in server and from server upgrade ios by command.

Thanks

Biplob

Biplob

While it may not be a full function server for a variety of files, the IOS does allow a router to act as a TFTP server or an FTP server for copying image files and config files.

I have set up a router as a TFTP server to send its image file to another router in the network and it worked fine. The IOS now also has the capability to do this with FTP as well.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the reply shankz.