Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can anybody please help me figure out how to fix my SOHO network

Level 1
Level 1

I needed to create a SOHO network as part of my Tafe assessment (and have done so) however two of the requirements were that I could access Office 365 using all of the computers in the topology and that all devices in the topology could communicate with one another. I Have tried to figure out what I have done wrong in an effort to fix this issue but can't find the problem, I am at my wit's end and would really appreciate any help that could be offered to me. My assessment is due in four days and I would really appreciate a response before then.

20091892_0-1695721425144.png

Here is the link to the network (via Cisco packet tracer) "C:\Users\darkz\Downloads\Lab - Building a SOHO network.pkt" 

Here is the link to the network you can download the network from the link(via Microsoft office) Lab - Building a SOHO network .pkt

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Switch 1 complains about duplicate IP.  it does not need to have same IP on its vlan1 interface as default gateway which is Home router. (it is not Layer 3 device so it cannot be default gateway);  PCs connected to switch 1 should use Home router as Default gateway. Change IP on switch 1 vlan 1 to something else not used but PCs. 

Some PCs are not getting IP via DHCP because switch ports are not coming up fast enough. solution is portfast command.

if you open a browser page on PC and type in IP 200.100.1.2, it works; this means that website is OK but if u use office365.com, it fails with error "Host Name Unresolved" .   that means DNS failure. 

PCs are not getting IP of DNS from home Alexander router; DNS IP should be 200.100.1.2; if u put that info into LAN network DNS info page in GUI of Network settings on Alexander router.  Do not forget to save settings in GUI - scroll down to see save button.

then go to each PC and renew IP to get that info.  Move mouse over each PC and laptop to see if they got correct IP of DNS or IP of DNS at all. 

Review your class materials and finish this assessment using notes above; Good Luck!

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

View solution in original post

Yes, but for switch 1, not router (u mistyped); Home router starts giving out IPs starting from 192.168.174.100, so 192.168.174.2 is  acceptable as IP of vlan1 on switch - it comes from below .100.   Note that IP on L2 switch is just so that u can reach that switch to configure it via telnet/ssh, it is called management IP address; it is not a gateway IP for PCs; Only L3 can be gateway; in your case, Home Router is gateway router who also does DHCP, and NAT.  Similar to your home router and home PC; check your IP details with ipconfig /all in CMD.

Ping 200.100.1.2 and open web browser and try office365.com to see Welcome to PT screen.

Regards, ML

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Share PT file here; it must be in a zip format to be able to attach it here;

Regards, ML

Here is the Zip File you requested

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Switch 1 complains about duplicate IP.  it does not need to have same IP on its vlan1 interface as default gateway which is Home router. (it is not Layer 3 device so it cannot be default gateway);  PCs connected to switch 1 should use Home router as Default gateway. Change IP on switch 1 vlan 1 to something else not used but PCs. 

Some PCs are not getting IP via DHCP because switch ports are not coming up fast enough. solution is portfast command.

if you open a browser page on PC and type in IP 200.100.1.2, it works; this means that website is OK but if u use office365.com, it fails with error "Host Name Unresolved" .   that means DNS failure. 

PCs are not getting IP of DNS from home Alexander router; DNS IP should be 200.100.1.2; if u put that info into LAN network DNS info page in GUI of Network settings on Alexander router.  Do not forget to save settings in GUI - scroll down to see save button.

then go to each PC and renew IP to get that info.  Move mouse over each PC and laptop to see if they got correct IP of DNS or IP of DNS at all. 

Review your class materials and finish this assessment using notes above; Good Luck!

Regards, ML

is 192.168.174.2 an acceptable vlan1 address for the router

do you mean to put the DNS IP in the static IP address option

Yes, but for switch 1, not router (u mistyped); Home router starts giving out IPs starting from 192.168.174.100, so 192.168.174.2 is  acceptable as IP of vlan1 on switch - it comes from below .100.   Note that IP on L2 switch is just so that u can reach that switch to configure it via telnet/ssh, it is called management IP address; it is not a gateway IP for PCs; Only L3 can be gateway; in your case, Home Router is gateway router who also does DHCP, and NAT.  Similar to your home router and home PC; check your IP details with ipconfig /all in CMD.

Ping 200.100.1.2 and open web browser and try office365.com to see Welcome to PT screen.

Regards, ML

thank you I think my problem may be solved but if not then I will follow up (if alright with you)

sure, u should be able to figure it out now; start with laptops and PC directly connected to Home router; then move to PCs connected to switch1

good luck!