Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2924XL Switch problem

berkleyit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a 2924XL switch, recently the port lights of 5-8 have lit up yellow, and seem not to work, are these broken (the others work) or a setting?

Cheers

5 Replies 5

Hello,

what is the status of the port when you issue the command 'sh int' ? The yellow (amber) LED means that the port is not forwarding. The port was either disabled by management or an address violation or was blocked by Spanning Tree Protocol (STP).

You can usually reenable the port by issuing the interface command 'no shut'.

Regards,

GP

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

You could have hit the "mode" button, in which case the LEDs are no longer showing port status. The "mode" button cycles through several different displays. What does the indicator just above the "mode" button say? Do you get any response from the console?

Mind you, that doesn't explain why it's not working, so I would look at whether the ports have been disabled for some reason.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

You could have hit the "mode" button, in which case the LEDs are no longer showing port status. The "mode" button cycles through several different displays. What does the indicator just above the "mode" button say? Do you get any response from the console?

Mind you, that doesn't explain why it's not working, so I would look at whether the ports have been disabled for some reason.

It's a bit suspicious that a group of four consecutive ports are playing up. Do you mean 5-8, or do you mean 4-7, counting from 0. I don't know how the hardware is arranged, but I can quite believe that the ports are grouped in fours under a controller per group, so your problem might be consistent with a hardware fault.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Your best bet at this point would be to reload the switch and see if it passes POST without any errors , usually if there is a problem it will show up in the bootup log .

robphill
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

From the enable prompt do a 'show post', it should tell you the results of the switches most recent POST test. If any fail, cotact Cisco TAC to have the switch replaced.

Good Luck

-Robert