Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst Firmware without mls - QoS Verification - 3650, 9300

Hi Everyone, 

I haven't posted here before so please bear with me if this is an obvious question that I have somehow overlooked the manual for the correct solution.

I work in Audio-Visual and we often need to deploy QoS on networks to meet the tolerance requirements of Jitter-Intolerant devices (usually PTP and Audio over IP). Many manufacturers don't recommend the use of Auto-QoS and in the past we have had no issues deploying our own policies where we prioritize using DSCP markings into the relevant weighted Queues. 

However, we have found ourselves getting a bit stuck with the latest firmware since the removal of the mls QoS command, I am unable to properly verify my policies are actually working as expected. 

I have created the policy map, created the class maps and assigned them to interfaces as expected. I have also set the relevant DSCP marked traffic (56 for example) to Cos 7 in the policy map. I have also tried high precedence values and Priority options.

When I use the only command I have found to view the stats for this , " show platform hardware fed switch 1 qos queue stats interface <>" I only ever see traffic in Queue 0 and 1. Granted I don't see any dropped packets but I am unable to be sure (in factory tests) that I have got this configuration right.

Other switch manufacturers show clearly as traffic is placed into the weighted Queues and you can see the way the load balancing is done. Even on the cheaper Cisco Small business options (CBS350 etc) this is easily achieved. 

I can only assume the 'show platform' command is not the place to see queue weighting, OR , my policy is not putting the priority traffic into a higher queue than it's default queue 0 and my policy is not really doing anything.

I may be wrong on both the above. Can anybody shed some light here? Happy to post up some examples if it helps.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what version of Code running on Cat 3K or Cat 9K switches, we do run QOS and works as expected. how is your config look like.

i suggest to read some guide lines sample config here :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9000/white-paper-c11-742388.html

https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/us/docs/2019/pdf/BRKCRS-2501.pdf

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi BB, 

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, we are running (on the 3650 which I have now) v 16.12.09 

I have checked those links you sent, I think we have followed the policy setup guide correctly. The only thing I am still confused about is how you verify it's actually working as the 'show platform' command only shows 2 queues with traffic in them

policy-map Test5
 class Test4
  set cos 7
  priority level 2
 class class-default
  set cos 0
  priority level 1
class-map match-any Test4
 match dscp cs7 
Switch#show platform hardware fed switch 1 qos queue stats interface gi1/0/5 ?
  |     Output modifiers
  <cr>  <cr>

Switch#show platform hardware fed switch 1 qos queue stats interface gi1/0/5 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AQM Global counters
GlobalHardLimit:  6247   |   GlobalHardBufCount: 0
GlobalSoftLimit:  7065   |   GlobalSoftBufCount: 0

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asic:0 Core:0  Port:9 Hardware Enqueue Counters
 Q Buffers          Enqueue-TH0          Enqueue-TH1          Enqueue-TH2             Qpolicer
   (Count)              (Bytes)              (Bytes)              (Bytes)              (Bytes)
-- ------- -------------------- -------------------- -------------------- --------------------
 0       0                    0                    0                    0                    0
 1       0                    0                19900           2288908110                    0
 2       0                    0                    0                    0                    0
 3       0                    0                    0                    0                    0
 4       0                    0                    0                    0                    0
 5       0                    0                    0                    0                    0
 6       0                    0                    0                    0                    0
 7       0                    0                    0                    0                    0
Asic:0 Core:0  Port:9 Hardware Drop Counters
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Q             Drop-TH0             Drop-TH1             Drop-TH2             SBufDrop              QebDrop         QpolicerDrop
                (Bytes)              (Bytes)              (Bytes)              (Bytes)              (Bytes)              (Bytes)
-- -------------------- -------------------- -------------------- -------------------- -------------------- --------------------
 0                    0                    0                    0                    0                    0                    0
 1                    0                    0                    0                    0                    0                    0
 2                    0                    0                    0                    0                    0                    0
 3                    0                    0                    0                    0                    0                    0
 4                    0                    0                    0                    0                    0                    0
 5                    0                    0                    0                    0                    0                    0
 6                    0                    0                    0                    0                    0                    0
 7                    0                    0                    0                    0                    0                    0