cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst IE3300 - Communication speed on SFP port

matheuscht
Level 1
Level 1

Can the SPF ports of the IE3300 switch communicate at 10/100? On the other side of the topology I have an automation system, which is limited to 10/100. Thanks.

5 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

The model support only 1GB - M02@rt37  was referring Ethernet GLC-T that support 10/100/1000

If you looking to connect using Multi Model Fibre you may need media converter which can give Ethernet output

IE-SFP(MM)-----SFP(media converter Fibre to Ethernet)--10/100MB(device)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

You're welcome @matheuscht.

Thanks for clarification. Use media converter Ethernet/MM Fiber as @balaji.bandi said.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

You're welcome @matheuscht !

Best regards

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

BTW, if you drop bandwidth from gig to 100 Mbps, on some transit device, like a media converter, you may create a bottleneck you have no control over.

Another option for such a "media converter" would be an "inexpensive" switch that has ports for both media.  When selecting such a switch, you might also investigate what monitoring and/or QoS features it offers to better support gig to 100 Mbps.

Or, if your IE3300 supports shaping, you could shape your gig port to 100 Mbps, and then your media converter would not be a bottleneck.

7 Replies 7

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @matheuscht,

GLC-TE 10/100/1000 is compatible whit IE3300.

https://tmgmatrix.cisco.com/?npf=722

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-ie3300-rugged-series/catalyst-ie3300-rugged-series-ds.html

Best regards

Hello M02@rt37,

Thanks your attencion. I would like explain this solution:

I will use a multimode fiber (the distance is 250 meters), for an interconnection between 2 devices, equipment "A" and equipment "B".

Equipment "A" is the IE3300 switch and equipment "B" is an Industrial Automation component that is limited to a speed of 10/100.

Therefore, I need to connect the multimode fiber to the IE3300 switch in the SFP port.

However, I have doubts whether the SFP port will work at a speed of 10/100. I didn't find this information in the datasheet.

Please, can you help me?

Best regards.

The model support only 1GB - M02@rt37  was referring Ethernet GLC-T that support 10/100/1000

If you looking to connect using Multi Model Fibre you may need media converter which can give Ethernet output

IE-SFP(MM)-----SFP(media converter Fibre to Ethernet)--10/100MB(device)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

You're welcome @matheuscht.

Thanks for clarification. Use media converter Ethernet/MM Fiber as @balaji.bandi said.

Best regards

Thanks M02@rt37 and @balaji.bandi.

You helped me a lot.

You're welcome @matheuscht !

Best regards

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

BTW, if you drop bandwidth from gig to 100 Mbps, on some transit device, like a media converter, you may create a bottleneck you have no control over.

Another option for such a "media converter" would be an "inexpensive" switch that has ports for both media.  When selecting such a switch, you might also investigate what monitoring and/or QoS features it offers to better support gig to 100 Mbps.

Or, if your IE3300 supports shaping, you could shape your gig port to 100 Mbps, and then your media converter would not be a bottleneck.