cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CatOS copy run star

ghenaprocop
Level 1
Level 1

Need a little help with a command. How in CatOS to copy run star? What is the analog command to copy run star(from IOS), in CatOS?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I think this is because the switch is not cat6K probably a Cat2948G or something, in any case. If it's non-Cat6K, you need not worry about whether the switch's config is in binary mode or text mode. Only 6K supports text mode and all other CatOS based switches gets the the config saved in NVRAM immediately after to hit the enter key.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In default config mode which is binary, you do not need to save config. It gets saved automatically each time you hit the enter key. If your config mode is text mode, you can use wr mem to save config.

How can I see whether I am in binary or text mode? Is there a command to check it?

show config mode will tell you what configuration mode the switch is running:

cat6k (enable) sh config mode

System configuration mode set to binary.

Text configuration auto-save to nvram feature disabled.

Text configuration auto-save interval is set to 30 minutes.

6at6k (enable)

the command show config mode doesnot exist on my catalyst. I am running CatOS 4.5(2.0). Is there any other command?

Thank you in advance

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Friend,

As everyone updated here in CATOS the config are saved automatically if the config mode is set to binary which is by default.

Incase you are in text mode you have to save the config but in text mode also you can confiure the config to be saved automatically and can specify a time interval also.

set config mode text {nvram | device:file-id}

This link will give you a lot of information about the config mode and the usgae guidelines

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/sw_8_5/cmd_ref/ses_sete.htm#wp1153974

HTH

Ankur

Ok, thank you

But I when I type show config mode, I receive:

cat> (enable) show config mode

Bad module range.

cat> (enable)

I do not understand why this happen? The switch was configured before and because of that I do not know which mode it is (binary or text).

I think this is because the switch is not cat6K probably a Cat2948G or something, in any case. If it's non-Cat6K, you need not worry about whether the switch's config is in binary mode or text mode. Only 6K supports text mode and all other CatOS based switches gets the the config saved in NVRAM immediately after to hit the enter key.

Actually config mode text option is software dependent and not hardware. CAT4k has this beginning 6.3(x) and later.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/relnotes/ol_2117.htm#wp118648

Thanks, you are right. Cat4K running catOS is capable of text mode on 6.3(x) and later. This would be true for 2948G and 2980G as well since they run the same CatOS. Thanks for catching that.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card