Views
Helpful
Replies

changing default vlans

a.tillmann
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

since I connected a C4506 to an existing network with C5500, C35XX, C29XX(-XL) and others, I am not able to create a new VLAN on the C4506. There is always the message:

VLAN 1003 parent VLAN missing

APPLY failed.

The VLAN 1003 is:

1003 trcrf-default act/unsup

VLAN Type SAID MTU Parent RingNo BridgeNo Stp BrdgMode Trans1 Trans2

---- ----- ---------- ----- ------ ------ -------- ---- -------- ------ ------

1003 trcrf 101003 4472 - - - - - 0 0

The reason for this is unknown, may be this is coming from a corrupt vlan-database on the C5509.

As a workaround I can create the new VLAN on the C5509 (VTP-Master). The C4506 is updatet via VTP, but how can I fix the problem. Somewhen, the C5509 will be disconnected from the network.

How can I change the VLAN 1003 which is not permitted on the C4506 (and also on other switches)?

Thanks,

Alexander

4 Replies 4

skarundi
Level 4
Level 4

you may be running into the topic discussed at

URL: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/21.html#catos_switch_changes

Section of interest:

Where does the unsupported VTP configuration come from?

Thank you for reply, I will check this on Sunday, when we have the next maintenance time.

Regards,

Alexander

Hi,

I'm having your problem. Do you have solved it?

Thanks

Mariachiara

hi,

yes, today we solved the problem.

We prepared a spare-IOS-switch with the vlan-database we needed by creating all the vlans manually, using the same VTP-domain and password as in our network. Then we pushed the "Configuration Revision" by creating and deleting vlans until it was higher than the "Configuration Revision" of the productive switches. So then we connected this switch in trunking mode to our network. The corrupted vlan.dat was overwritten and we could create new vlans on our C4506 (VTP-server).

Hope that helps,

regards,

Alexander