cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2501 Telnet Restricting and Allowing

eshah
Level 1
Level 1

Presently we have a cisco 2501 router connected to an external lease line for providing internet access on the serial port of the router. The Router is also connected to a Firewall Server via the ethernet port on the Router. Presently the we are unable to telnet into the router from anywhere on the network , even via the firewall server connected directly onto it. What we would like happen , is for us to be able to telnet into the router via only the firewall server connected directly onto it. Could someone provide some assistance please. Attached isa copy of the configuration of the router. Also the ip address of the ethernet port on the firewall server that the router is connected is 172.20.21.7.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This means that you have connectivity issues between the workstation you are telneting from and the router.

This could be because of an ACL or a FW rule that would prevent the telnet connection to the router.

Can you explain the topology between the workstation and the router.

Thanks,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Harold Ritter
Level 12
Level 12

The access-class currently configured on vty 0 through 4 denies all connections to the router. If you want to allow connection from the FW IP address ou need to change ACL 1 as follow:

no access-list 1

access-list 1 permit 172.20.21.7

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

I tried the commands listed and I was still unable to telnet into the router. I go the following error message " Connecting to 209.94.197.97.... Could not open a connection to host on port 23: Connect failed "

Could you provide some further guidance please.

This means that you have connectivity issues between the workstation you are telneting from and the router.

This could be because of an ACL or a FW rule that would prevent the telnet connection to the router.

Can you explain the topology between the workstation and the router.

Thanks,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

I got the telnet to work properly, I mistakenly provided you with some erroneous information, but the help you gave earlier was key to me solving the problem. It works perfectly fine now, thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card