cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2611 - Reload command across active ISDN link - Router doesn't reboot

jjessen
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2611 with IOS 12.2.7, 16 MB of flash and 48 Mb of DRAM.

Triple-des IPSEC configured on an ISDN link.

It appears that if a reload command is issued on the 2611 across the encrypted or unencrypted isdn link the 2611 fails to reboot.

This also occurs on a hard reboot.

Is this indicative of a lack of memory?

Cisco literature states that 16/48 memory configuration is good on that chassis and IOS combination.

Any ideas?

5 Replies 5

mljohnson
Level 4
Level 4

How you access the box (ISDN, etc) and whether or not the access is encrypted should not effect the execution of CLI commands once at the enable prompt. I'm not sure what you mean by "hard reboot" in the context of your ISDN connection or the reload command, but in any case memory should not be an issue, either. Once at the enable prompt, the "reload" command should prompt you to verify that you want to reload, and after entering "y" your telnet/SSH connection should be terminated due to the router actually reloading. If it does not, it would be good to check to see if there are any console messages or errors logged; however, I would think that the CLI would give you some sort of error prompt if there is any problem in accepting the command.

Hard reboot = on/off switch; turn it off then on again.

I have no problem issuing the command; the 2611 carries out the command but does not come back up.

I was wondering if the processes (IPSEC, ISDN) would affect this chassis with that IOS, feature set and memory combination as I can't figure out why the router would barf like that.

Further complication is that I can't get to it easily as it is some 300 kms away with no auxilliary modem connected nor a local with access to the cabinet (locked - for security reasons).

BTW - this is the second 2611 I have dispatched with the same result.

Since the router isn't reachable after a warm-boot (reload command) or a hard-boot (on/off switch) it perhaps could be that there is no interesting traffic taking place at that time to bring up the ISDN right away.

How is this routers ISDN / dialer interfaces configured? Are both sides configured to dial or just one side? What is defined as interesting traffic (dialer list statement globally, and dialer-group on interface) ?

Upon issuing the reload command, on the router on your side you should see the call disconnect and a call taking place again if it there is a dial attempt.

Erick

ISDN, encryption, and traffic is all ok.....until a reload occurs.

My concern is - what may cause the router to not boot after a reload is issued across the ISDN link; when, for instance I am consoled in with no ISDN active I can reload, turn off the router to my hearts content and not once will it not reload.

My thinking is that it must be a memory/process issue.

However, I believe that the router is correctly provisioned memory wise.

When you say "I have no problem issuing the command; the 2611 carries out the command but does not come back up. " what do you mean by "does not come back up"?

Does it get stuck at the rommon, boot prompt, hang on boot, get stuck in a reboot loop, or does it boot up to IOS and the ISDN, etc don't work as expected?

Can you have someone hook up to the console port and capture a log of the reload process output here, so we can see whats going on?

Erick

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card