Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6506 - VSS support

alonro002
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to know if my Cisco 6506 is support with the VSS option ?

on the global i can see the command : 

Cisco-6506(config)#switch virtual domain ?
<1-255> Virtual switch domain number

but on the Ten interface i cant see the option to VSL (Virtual Switch Link) - maybe i need first config the global option ?

Switch version : Version 15.1(2)SY4a

attached - show mod from the router.

Thanks !

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The supervisor card, WS-SUP720 do NOT support VSS.

If you plan to upgrade to a platform which can support VSS, do the math first.  It's a lot cheaper to upgrade your chassis to a 6807 chassis & Sup2T/Sup6T supervisor card.

Thanks

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

To expand a bit on what Leo has already mentioned, if you go new, besides the 6807, there's the 6880 and 6840.  (The later 4500s support VSS too.)

If you do want to upgrade your current chassis, for a sup2t, you need a 6500-E chassis.  Also your 6708 cards won't work with an sup2t.

I think what all you have will work with a VS-S720.

PS:

BTW, unless you dual home everything, and some to all of everything is L2, you'll may be better off with dual L3 routers rather than a VSS pair.

thanks !