cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 3550 and 3508

chphua
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco Catalyst Switch 3550 with default VLAN1 and some other VLANs configured.

I intend to connect to a Catalayst 3508 via a cross cable using the 1000TX GBIC on both switches. The Port on 3550 is on the default VLAN1 whereas the Port on Catalyst 3508 (transparent VTP mode) belongs to VLAN2 . However , somehow a broadcast storm arises when the connection was done. I have missed out capturing any log messages and have not tried the connection again as the Equipment were production switches.

The catalyst 3550 is using the older sw which falls into the category with STP issues , however i guess there is no loop in the case here.

Please advice.

2 Replies 2

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Why do you want to have one side of the link in VLAN 1 and the other in VLAN2. Since the VLANs got physically bridged, there was possible flooding in the network. Have both the sides of the link in the same VLAN or configure it as a trunk if you want to carry multiple VLANs over it

The 3550 was setup seperately on another network and the elements were in VLAN1 which falls into another subnet different from the vlan 1 in 3508. A VLAN2 (just an example, could be 3,4 or 5) was created in 3508 to connect to this 3550 network.

There is no trunk or multiple-vlan configured . (the switchport mode access statement was used)