Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring a Cisco 2600 router fot 2 T1 lines

yslitineh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I would be very grateful for any help with the following since I am very new to working with Cisco routers.

We just got 2 T1 lines from our ISP which we are palnning to terminate at 2 T1 interfaces on a Cisco 2600 router. Our ISP has supplied us with some IP addresses along with the gateways. Our plan is to connect the T1 to the router and the router to a Cisco Catalyst switch to share internet connection to our internal LAN clients. However, I do not know how to proceed in configuring the router to work with the T1 lines. When I accessed the router console for basic configuraton, according the documentation, I was asked to supply an IP and subnet mask to the FastEthernet interface 0/0 and I do not know if the IP should be the ones supplied by our ISP or something else. I would really appreciate some guidence here.

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

rais.ahmad
Level 1
Level 1

Since the IPs are provided by the ISP, most probably they will be used for your external interface (serial 0/0 etc) not on Ethernet. Apparently, your setup is like this:

PCs/Hosts----Switch-----Router----T1s----ISP

Do you have a firewall too? The ISP provided IPs should go between router and ISP.

Hope this helps.

Yes, I do have a Cisco PIX 501 firewall. would there be any difference in the topology you suggested?

Thank you for your help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card