Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting to Unix based systems using Cisco2509 TS

giaaaj
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I woold like to manage Unix based system via the Console port ( SERIAL PORTS RS232). I have Cisco 2509 TS and would like to connect the Unix servers to the Cisco 2509 TS so that i can reach the systems directly via the Serial Port.

1- Hase anybody an idea which cable should i use between the Cisco 2509 TS and the Serial Port ( RS232 ), or with which cable should i extend the the cable delivered with the Cisco 2509 so that i can connect to the serial port.

2- Is there any special configuration for such a connection.

Thanks

Ali

3 Replies 3

rob
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Use a standard RS232 to RJ45 connector on the unix machine and place a standard rolled cable(cisco blue console cable is rolled) between the machine and the 2509. This should work for you

Thanks

Hi

Do u mean, i can extend the cable delivered with the 2509 ( 72.0845-01) which is connected to the Async interface on the router.

I have the following

Router 2509 withe Async 1-8 interface ,an Octal Async Cable which is at one end connected to the Async interface of the router. The other end of this Cable is an RJ45 connector which usually used connect to the console interface of cisco devices. I need to connect this end to unix based machine via the serial interface which is an DB9 RS232.

Thanks

Ali

Thanks

Ali

Hi

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card