cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

connectivity of a layer2 switch with layer 3

bmehdi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi i have a layer 2 switch and am planning to configure only a single vlan of workstations i.e vlan 2.

i want to connect this switch with the layer 3 switch.which has vlan 2,4,10 configured.

layer2 switch---->layer3 switch--->router>>outside

since only one vlan is configured on layer 2 switch do i still need to configure trunks on the port which connects layer 2 to layer 3.or i just configure the port of layer three to be a part of layer 2 switch.

Also if any one can help on what shud i do about management of the switches i.e i want to telnet them from outside

5 Replies 5

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

if you need only VLAN2 on your L2 switch, you can connect it to your L3 switch via an access port (no trunk necessary).

But it's highly recommended to use a different VLAN for switch management. In that case you need a trunk.

If you want to Telnet to the switch from the outside, you should definitely use a separated management VLAN with access-lists configured on the switch and the router permitting access to the switch management to only a restricted set of IP addresses (management stations).

See

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2950/12120ea2/2950scg/swipaddr.htm#wp1037806

and

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2950/12120ea2/2950scg/swacl.htm#wp1079878

Regards,

Milan

just a follow up.

how do i configure routing on the layer 3 switch.the router attached to the switch is running ospf, so it is advisable to run ospf on the switch too or just the default route is better.

If a link available do give.

a follow up.

how do i configure routing on the layer 3 switch.the router attached to the switch is running ospf, so it is advisable to run ospf on the switch too or just the default route is better.

If a link available do give.

What is the model of the Layer 3 switch ? If it supports OSPF there is nothing wrong with having it participate in the OSPF area. If it doesn't you will have to configure static routes on the L3 switch pointing to the external destination that you need. You will also have to add the internal routes to the router.

Sometimes (simple star topology without redundant links, e.g.) static routes might be simple and fine working solution comparing to more complex OSPF configuration.

It always depends on your topology, needs and requirements.

Regards,

Milan