cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Could Cisco 1701 ADSL Router supports WIC-1ENET Card.

Hi,

I need advise as to if a Cisco 1701 ADSL router could support WIC-1ENET Card.

My 1701 Router has WIC 0 as ADSL and WIC 1 as ISDN, could the ADSL card be replaced by a WIC-1ENET. I noticed ,that the cards seems to be rivet onto the back of the Router and not connected with SCREWS as other routers would posses.

Could someone advised as to how i can have this router supports 2 Ethernet NICs or what could be your recommendations?

Thank you,

Cisco End User.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Surendra,

now I am getting confused myself: looking at the data sheet (see the link below), it appears that the 1701 is a fixed configuration router, which means you cannot exchange modules. Why the WIC-1ENET would then be listed as compatible with the 1701 doesn't really make sense. I will try and find out if there might be two different models, one that is modular, and one that is not...

Data Sheet

Cisco 1701 ADSL Security Access Router

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_data_sheet09186a0080180fa9.html

Regards,

GP

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hello,

the WIC-1ENET is supported on the 1701, but, AFAIK, only in slot 0.

It does not support 2 WIC-1ENET cards, only the 1720, 1750, and 1751 do, with a specific IOS release, check out this info from CCO:

WIC-1ENET- Support for two Ethernet WICs

The Ethernet WIC (WIC-1ENET) provides the capability to deploy additional Ethernet port(s) in a Cisco 1700 series routers. The initial release of the WIC-1ENET supported only one WIC-1ENET card in a 1700 router. The new IOS 12.2(2)XJ release offers the option of deploying up to two WIC-1ENET adapters in a Cisco 1720, 1750, or 1751 router. A total of three Ethernet ports can be configured. A typical application that requires three Ethernet ports involves using the built-in 10/100 Fast Ethernet port for LAN segment. One of the WIC-1ENET port could be used for high-speed broadband DSL or cable modem connection. The second WIC-1ENET port could be used for a DMZ (demilitarized zone) environment for deploying public Web servers or FTP servers. Hardware modification is not necessary to use the capability of IOS 12.2(2)XJ. The new IOS software is compatible with WIC-1ENET adapters already installed in 1700 series routers.

HTH,

GP

Hi GP,

Thanks for your helpful information on the WIC for Cisco 1701 ADSL Router. However, my other question is that WIC0 (ADSL) and WIC1 (ISDN) seems to be rivet onto the Router, there are no screws on it...I dont want to attempt taking out the card, since i just bought it and dont want to void warranty...I want to be sure on it..

Thanks for your quick response and i am looking forward for your second response.

Regards,

Surendra Persaud

Hello Surendra,

now I am getting confused myself: looking at the data sheet (see the link below), it appears that the 1701 is a fixed configuration router, which means you cannot exchange modules. Why the WIC-1ENET would then be listed as compatible with the 1701 doesn't really make sense. I will try and find out if there might be two different models, one that is modular, and one that is not...

Data Sheet

Cisco 1701 ADSL Security Access Router

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_data_sheet09186a0080180fa9.html

Regards,

GP