cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CRS-1 FAN bugs !

dungmt2711
Level 1
Level 1

When i check the Router  CRS-1 log, these log seem to be that the upper fan has problem!

even the CRS-1 has no alarm on RP, the fan led status is blue as normal.

---------------------------------------------

RP/0/RP1/CPU0:dng-co-crs-01#

co-crs-01#RP/0/RP1/CPU0:May  7 10:58:15.461 : i2c_server[63]: %PLATFORM-GT_I2C-7-BUS_HANG : Detected i2c bus hang, attempting to unhang the bus...... 

RP/0/RP1/CPU0:May  7 10:58:15.613 : i2c_server[63]: %PLATFORM-GT_I2C-3-UNRECOVERABLE_BUS_HANG : Detected i2c bus hang from which sw is unable to recover. 

--------------------------------------------

RP/0/RP1/CPU0:dng-co-crs-01(admin)#sh environment fans

Sat May  7 12:26:24.175 UTC

_[K  Fan speed (rpm):

FAN1    FAN2    FAN3    FAN4

Rack 0:

Upper  0       0       0       0

Lower  4405    4405    4405    4405

------------------------------------------------------------------

I remove it and plug the FAN , the problem still there.

When i reboot router CRS-1, the router seem to be looped  in hardware check  ( file attached Reboot_loop.log).

The only way to boot it, is to break in to Rommon and issue command  boot ...

--------------------

what 's seem to be the source of problem!, may be i should replace FAN !

pls advice!

5 Replies 5

Problem:
During a router reload, ROMMON is reporting that he can not clear an I2C bus hang.

Resolution:

The fix has been released in ROMMON 1.54

ROMMON 1.54 is bundled since IOS XR 3.9.0. So any version of IOS XR from 3.9.0 should have at least this version of ROMMON or a newer one which will include the fix. 

upgrade the ROMMON, if this does not fix the issue open a TAC case.

can u provide the link  from cisco u mention about ROMMON bug fix ?

the CRS-1 routers  is critical for customer , so i need to ensure that problem before update!.

i found similar problem with Power module!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/ts/fn/620/fn62271.html

Problem Symptoms

: similar to my case

Workaround/Solution

Workaround: Perform online insertion and removal (OIR) of the power supply to reset communications.

Replace the affected hardware for a permanent solution.

hi,

The CRS may report intermittent i2c hangs, when an i2c bus hang occurs monitoring and communication with the power supplies and fans is hindered for the time that the bus is hung. This explains the fan errors you are seeing.

This problem is NOT associated with the known field notice 62271 if the power supplies are version -02. 

If you are encountering i2c bus hangs and have version -01 power supplies, replace the power supplies as described in FN - 62271.
Directions to check which version of power supply you using are given in FN- 62271
what is the software version you using ?

thanks for your reply

CRS-1 routers are using IOS XR 3.8

i think there's no problem with power module, we have all 8 CRS-1 router with the same hardware,   only two of them have problem with the upper FAN tray. The power module is operate normal.

again , about my previous question , can u provide the link  from cisco u mention about ROMMON bug fix ?