Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP server in tier 3 network design

nikEnable
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

Good day. Please can you advise me,  because I am studying the case for designing a layer 3 network and I want to ask where the dhcp-server should be located. My apologies for the picture.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

If this represent one site and you have a Data center somewhere, then, the DHCP server should stay on the Data Center. If this is the only site or is the Data Center, you could add one dedicated switch on the distribution and add the DHCP server there along with any other server you may need.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

DHCP-Server must be connect to AGG both config  with IP helper. 

in config reference check how three tier config and where is Server located 

Dear MHM,

Thank you for your reply.

Hi

If this represent one site and you have a Data center somewhere, then, the DHCP server should stay on the Data Center. If this is the only site or is the Data Center, you could add one dedicated switch on the distribution and add the DHCP server there along with any other server you may need.

Dear Flavio,

I want to have a dhcp & dns server for datacenter. Would it be correct to add another l2 access switch and L3 dirtribution connected to the core network for the DHCP server or is it unnecessary?

Thank you 

Hi

If you will have a Data Center, then, you dont need to add anything on this topology.  You just need to configure your distribution to ask DHCP and DNS on the Data Center. Then, this topology you created should be connected to some ISP to get access to your Data Center.

But, if you want to add the DHCP server and DNS server on this topology, I recommend you to add one more switch and connect it to the Distribution. You can call it "serve farm".

Servers are also Access devices, so, they must not be connected in the core. They must be connected to an Access Switch and Access Switch must be connected to Distribution following the Tier3 topology.

What companies often do  is create some kind of DMZ and add servers on it.  Sometimes they use this servers for external service as well like VPN for example. So, it is important to have this server in a DMZ for protection.

When it comes to design I dont think there´s right and wrong, it depends a lot what you want to achieve, how much money do you have and if will work properly.

Hello

If your dhcp/dns server is actually a physical device going to reside inside your network then it can be located on any access switch in your topology.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul