Views
Helpful
Replies

Duplicate rp configured

mark_tegg
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have come onsite to a new customer that is having issues with multicast.

The configuration references a single RP. The only thing I can find is that the RP address is configured on two devices(the same address)

Please can you give some insight to this configuration as it appears on face value to be an error.

Thanks

Mark

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

mark_tegg wrote:

Hi

The configuration references a single RP. The only thing I can find is that the RP address is configured on two devices(the same address)

Please can you give some insight to this configuration as it appears on face value to be an error.

Thanks

Mark

Mark

It sounds like they are running anycast ie. RP redundancy. Basically you can have more than one RP in the same multicast domain but you can only have on RP address in a multicast domain so the same IP is applied to both RPs. See this doc for full details -

Anycast +  MSDP

so simply have more than one RP with the same IP is not necessarily wrong, however whether it has been configured correctly is another matter.

What issues are they having ?

Jon

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

mark_tegg wrote:

Hi

Thanks

Mark

Mark

It sounds like they are running anycast ie. RP redundancy. Basically you can have more than one RP in the same multicast domain but you can only have on RP address in a multicast domain so the same IP is applied to both RPs. See this doc for full details -

Anycast +  MSDP

so simply have more than one RP with the same IP is not necessarily wrong, however whether it has been configured correctly is another matter.

What issues are they having ?

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card