cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

E1/T1 with E1 VWIC

sextrand
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2620xm router in Mexico with a VWIC-1MFT-E1 terminating an international E1/T1 circuit. The telco DACS drops E1 channels 25-30 at the border crossing to the US, terminating on another 2620XM in the US with a VWIC-1MFT-T1. I have used this configuration successfully in the past utilizing an external DSU on the Mexico side, terminating as a standard serial interface on the router.

In the current configuration, I have created a channel group to terminate the 24 incoming channels from the E1 that are passed through from the US. The E1 controller is running clean, but the serial interface shows as up/down. I tried creating a second channel group for the uppper channels, but no change in status.

I'm currently thinking that the VWIC-1MFT-E1 card is the wrong one for this application, and that a card capable of drop and insert is required, even though I won't be cross connecting tdm-groups to the other interface. This is a data only application, no voice involved. Has anyone had a similar situation, and how was it resolved? I prefer the integrated cards, one less point of failure, but may have to go back to what I know works, an external DSU.

1 Reply 1

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card