cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP Default routes

tdg911
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys, I have a customer that has two links between them (3640) and my router (7206). One connection is via wireless using proxim ptp. The second connection is T1 primarily used for backup. The wireless F0/0(3640) link is preferred since they are currently bursting up to 6mb. The problem is if the wireless radio drops off of the network they will stop routing. The interface F0/0 on the 3640 does not go down but will stop passing traffic. This does not happen often but it has happened a few times.

I have added two default routes with weights but since the F0/0 interface does not drop nothing gets routed over the T1 (s0/0).

I configured EIGRP on the 7206 and the 3640. I am currently receiving routes from the 7206 and ack/helos etc are being sent/received. Once I remove my static route for gateway of last resort on the 3640 the rest of the world can no longer get to this network.

with all of that been said, what must I do to set default routes via EIGRP to get this 3640 (customer) working right? I appreciate any input and always thank you guys in advance!

tdg

2 Replies 2

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

On the 7206 configure a static default route pointing to its gateway of last resort.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

TO redistribute this via EIGRP,

router eigrp 100

redistribute static route-map Filter

route-map Filter permit 10

match ip address 1

access-list 1 permit host 0.0.0.0

This will redistribute a default route via EIGRP. The 3640 will prfer default route via the ethernet interface over the one via serial interface (T1)

Hope that helps!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

On the 7206 i do not have any static default routes because of running bgp with my upstreams. any other way around this possibly using Floating Summary Routes? i've run eigrp before between several routers but those routers always had default routes set static.

thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card