Views
Helpful
Replies

Error while loading from sup-slot0 in 6509 MSFC2

pablo-rodriguez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a 6509 with sup2/msfc2 running Catos 7.3(1) and IOS 12.1(8a)E5.

I need to upgrade the IOS to 12.1(20)E3, but the MSFC2 bootflash doesn't have enough space to keep the boot image and the ios image, so I try to load it from the sup-slot0: card.

I follow the procedure and put the bootloader line in the configuration, then the line to boot from the sup-slot0: and finally the line to boot from the previous version in case the new image don't work. The boot's part follow:

boot system sup-slot0:c6msfc2-dsv-mz.121-20.E3.bin

boot system flash bootflash:c6msfc2-dsv-mz.121-8a.E5.bin

boot bootldr bootflash:c6msfc2-boot-mz.121-2.E

During the reload the following line appear:

%SYS-6-READ_BOOTFILE_FAIL: sup-slot0:c6msfc2-dsv-mz.121-20.E3.bin No usable interfaces.

I already had done this with other 6509 and the only difference is that the boot image is version 12.1(7)E.

Anyone has a hint for this?

Thanks,

Pablo Rodriguez

4 Replies 4

skarundi
Level 4
Level 4

upgrade the boot loader to the latest. there is a bug with the uploading newer images with an old boot loader.

Thanks for helping me in this problem.

Do you know where can I find information about the bug you mention? a release note or a field notice or something.

Thanks,

Pablo Rodriguez

Due to the time it takes the Supervisor Engine (SE) to boot after a reset or power on, Cisco do not recommend booting the MSFC from sup-slot0:

Check out http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00801347e2.shtml#booting_msfc.

There is a bug identified in the above, which re-iterates the point, but does provide some hope with an upgrade to 12.1*8a)E or above of the boothelper image.

You might want to look at the following:

Hi,

I used a new bootloader image, 12.1(7)E, and the sup-slot0: image load works fine.

Thanks all for the advices.

Pablo Rodriguez

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card