cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ethernet WideBand IP end-to-end keepalives

leighton.grant
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any way to implement something that works the same way as fremerelay end-to-end keepalive over an ethernet wideband ip connection.

the problem that i am having is that the service provider supplys this connection on switches so we basically have the routers on each end plugged into the service providers switches so if the service provider has problems in their network the ethernet interfaces on our routers do not go into a down state.

i want to be able to monitor the remote end and if it can't be reached i want the ethernet to go down. basically identical to framerelay end-to-end keepalives but on ethernet.

does anyone know if this is possible and how to acheive it.

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

dbellazetin
Level 4
Level 4

I'm not sure about any end-to-end keepalives, but if you ran a protocol between your routers that used keepalives to keep adjacencies that might work (ospf, eigrp).

Of course this won't bring down your interface, but it will report loss of IP connectivity to the remote end.

Daniel

tbaranski
Level 4
Level 4

I'm not aware of any standards that deal with this issue, though I'd imagine it's being worked on -- Ethernet is in the process of essentially taking over the MAN, so issues relating to Ethernet end-to-end failure detection will become more prevalent.