cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fail Over Support

lchristie
Level 1
Level 1

I have an issue that I am trying to get resolved with regards to fail over. Here is an overview of my network design and I will list what I am trying to accomplish.

Current Design:

I have 2 Internet connections one of which is a T1 attached to a Cisco 1601 router with a firewall protecting the internal network. The second connection is a Microwave connection attached to a PC performing routing. I have drawn a rudimentary design below of our current configuration.

|-------T1-------1601-------Firewall

Internet |

|-------Microwave-------PC/Router

What we want to accomplish is to have some type of failover in place for our Internet connections. We have purchased a Cisco 2611 with an extra eth port to accomplish this task.

Future Design:

I would like to place the 2611 connecting both of our Internet lines into the 2611. I would like to know how I can configure this scenario to provide fail over support for the 2 Internet lines. Can the 2611 provide this capability? How would I configure the 2611 to use the T1 by default and then the microwave if T1 fails.

|-------T1-------1601

Internet | >----2611----Firewall

|---Micro---PC/Rout

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee

1 Reply 1

aztecmother
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Lee,

you should be able to use the backup interface command to set the microwave interface into standby mode. When the t1 fails it simply kicks in the microwave interface. example:

interface s0/0 (using s0/0 as T1 example)

ip addresss ####.####.###

backup interface bri0/0 ( isdn backup) (using bri0/0 as microwave example)

backup delay 30 60

no shut

Jose